A basic doula package will usually include
- Two antenatal home visits during which your doula will go through what plans or preferences you have for the birth and assist you in writing a birth preference to put into your hospital chart if you want.
- Phone and email support during your pregnancy, and especially during the last to weeks of your pregnancy
- “On-call” service from 2 to 3 weeks before your ‘due date’ until the your baby is born. This means your doula will have her phone on her person all the time even during nights!
- Continuous care and support for mum and partner throughout your entire labour and birth, at home and/or hospital
- Support with comfort measures during labour such as massage, relaxation, hydrotherapy and visualization
- Most doulas will also take photographs for you if you want during the labour. Some specifically work as birth photographers.
- Immediate postpartum care and breastfeeding support for several hours after your baby is born depending on your needs.
- A postpartum follow-up visit to debrief the birth
Doulas in Ireland